The Good Insurance Group, LLC

1033 Alliance Park Dr, Suite 201
Bloomsburg, PA 17815

Get Directions
Pennsylvania Blog

What Is a Loss Assessment Rider and Do I Need It As a Condo Owner?

At The Good Insurance Group LLC, we offer loss assessment riders to people who own condos. But even if you own a condo, you may not be sure you need this kind of insurance. After all, your HOA has a master insurance policy, and you might also have insurance on your individual unit.

Common Areas

Our insurance agency, which serves Bloomsburg, PA, wants you to know that such coverage may not be enough. If a significant incident or a natural disaster strikes one of the common areas of your condo building, fixing or restoring the area could be expensive. And out-of-pocket expenses could fall on you as an owner.

Common areas may include the lobby, pool, fitness center, parking area, elevators, and landscaped areas. Add roofs, windows, tennis courts, sidewalks, hiking trails, HVAC systems, and more.

Who Pays to Fix Damages?

A loss assessment rider or policy could save money if your condo building sustains significant damage. That’s because, without a loss assessment rider, your HOA may ask you and the other owners to pay expenses if repairing or restoring is less than your condo association’s deductible.

Likewise, if costs exceed the limit of the HOA’s insurance policy, then all owners may be assessed a fee to make up for the deficit. Living in a condo where there are a lot of owners rather than just a tiny number could mean that you will have to pay less.

So, we at The Good Insurance Group LLC suggest that you consider the size of your HOA when assessing whether you need a loss assessment rider. We have the experience of addressing the insurance needs of residents in and around Bloomsburg, PA. Contact us today.